Thursday, March 26, 2009

Blizzard L00t, pt II

Just a quick follow up on my September 2008 post Blizzard L00t, which discussed the profitability of World of Warcraft. In that post, I arrived at an extremely rough estimate of $80 million a month in revenue from WoW. Although I didn't get directly into annual WoW profit figures, a Wall Street Journal article provides some perspectives from the financial markets:

Blizzard generated $704 million in profits on revenues of $1.3 billion in 2008, according to regulatory filings. Analysts believe most of those results are tied to WOW. (emphasis added)

If the "analysts" are right (I wonder how many of them have even played WoW?), then my initial dollar estimates were a bit low, but not terribly inaccurate, while WoW's relative share of revenues/profits was likely more accurate.