Ren Reynolds has an interesting post up at Terra Nova about the mainstreaming of gaming and, indirectly, virtual worlds. That got me to think on the number of times virtual worlds had permeated plot lines of major TV shows. Although this list is likely not exhaustive, virtual worlds have made a central storyline for such popular prime-time shows as:
- CSI: NY, “Down the Rabbit Hole” airing 10/24/2007 on CBS
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, “Avatar” airing 10/2/2007 on NBC
- The Simpsons, “Marge Gamer” airing 4/22/2007 on Fox
- Numb3rs, “Primacy” airing 11/9/2007 on CBS
- The Office, “Local Ad” airing 10/25/2007 on Fox
- NCIS, "The Immortals" airing 10/14/2003 on CBS
- And of course the infamous (and a personal favorite) Emmy-winning episode of South Park, “Make Love, Not Warcraft” airing 10/4/2006 on Comedy Central.
I am not sure if I would really count it, but The Daily Show also had a “news” story/paraody about the Congressional hearings, airing 4/7/2008 on Comedy Central.I may be missing some shows or episodes, so feel free to rectify my oversight with a comment or an email to me and I will update the list. UPDATE: I will continue to post additions and updates to this list over time, so keep 'em coming.